I’m trying to stick to a budget for business travel this year. It can be notoriously expensive to attend WWDC, for example, and in past years I’ve certainly blown through thousands of dollars on the trip. This page will document my attempt to get the costs down.
Are you attending WWDC? We’re having a Micro.blog meetup on Tuesday at lunch.
WWDC 2018 in San Jose:
- Fairmont Hotel: $979 total with fees for 4 nights. Booked months ago, got a better price by arriving Saturday and leaving Wednesday.
- Austin → San Jose on Southwest: $314 round-trip. Not a direct flight.
- WWDC conference ticket: $0. I’m not attending the conference.
- Car rental: $50 (estimate). I plan to drive up to San Francisco on Sunday.
- Lyft: $50 (estimate). Probably going to need a few rides from the airport or elsewhere.
- Food and drinks: $300 (estimate). Could easily be more or less.
- Random expenses I can’t predict: $50 (estimate). I’ll fill this in with actual expenses later.
Total estimate for the trip: $1743.
IndieWebSummit 2018 in Portland:
- Airbnb: $637 for 3 nights. There aren’t many hotels close to the venue. This is for an entire apartment to myself.
- Austin → Portland on Southwest: $373 round-trip.